What is council-owned land, and what am I entitled to

What You Need to Know About Fencing Shared with Council-Owned Land In Australia 2022

What You Need to Know About Fencing Shared with Council-Owned Land


If your property shares a boundary with council-owned land are you restricted by what kind of fencing you can choose to install?


Neighbourly disputes over fencing issues are unfortunately relatively common. There are clear guidelines on handling any fencing conflicts with your neighbour, and resources are available to assist neighbours with disagreements to help them come to a compromise or resolution. But, how does it work when your property shares a fence line with your council? How does this impact the fencing options that you have available to you, and what are the steps that you should take if you have a fencing-related issue?

What is council-owned land, and what am I entitled to

What is council-owned land, and what am I entitled to?

When it comes to council-owned land, there are different kinds of properties with different sorts of building allowances and restrictions that may affect what kind of fencing you can choose to install. In many cases, the same fencing rules apply as if you shared your fence with a private neighbour. In that case, the council is responsible for splitting costs with you for any repairs or putting up any fence. Any alterations to the fence must be discussed with the appropriate council party prior to doing them, and you’ll need their sign off on alterations you want to make to your fence.


The council will generally have a standard fence design, and you will be required to pay for any additions to it. For example, in Victoria, the council will split the costs of erecting a 1.63 metre wooden paling fence. If you want this to be taller, built with a different material, or have any other changes, you will need to pay the extra yourself. To get the council to pay, you’ll need to submit whatever your local council’s version is of a Shared Cost Application Form.


However, if you share the land with council-owned land that is not a building, such as walkways, parks, or reserves, your council will not contribute to your fencing expenses. You will have to pay the total amount for building any fence, repairs, and regular maintenance. There are possible exemptions to this if you are a pensioner or have other extenuating circumstances that require financial assistance.


Restrictions on materials used

If your fence is built on the boundary of any council-owned land – building or nature reserve – there are restrictions on the material that you can choose for your fence. These restrictions are designed to keep the public safe and to minimise any potential harm to humans and wildlife. Restricted materials may differ from council to council, so it’s always best to seek advice. You should to install quality Pool Fencing Which also should be safe and secure



How can I find out if the building next to me is council-owned?

The best thing to do is contact your local council. They’ll be able to inform you if you share a fence line with one of their properties and help outline what you are entitled to when it comes to fencing and what you are not. You also need to know Colorbond fencing which is the best option



I have a problem with the fence shared between myself and a council-owned business

If you have a grievance about the state of your fence or have noticed that your shared fence requires repairs, you’ll need to contact your local council. They may require you to submit an additional Shared Cost Application form, or they may send an elected person out to view the state of the fence.


If you have any issues with incomplete work or having your application rejected unfairly, you can issue a complaint with your council or your local MP. To get an obligation-free quote on your next fence, contact Jim’s Fencing on 13 15 46. We need to contact Fence Melbourne The best company in Melbourne



Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your cart is currently empty.